BOP Rams or simply Ram BOP is one of the types of BOP, also known as an associated object of a Blowout Preventer that is generally mounted on the top of a BOP stack. The modus of operandi for a Ram BOP is very much similar to how a gate valve works with only difference that a Ram BOP uses Rams which are usually the pair of opposing steel plungers. These steel plungers are rubber faced that come together with great force and seals the wellbore to control the back pressure kicks.
The primary purpose for this type of BOP is to prevent the well blowout. This object restricts the flow of fluid by extending it towards the centre of the wellbore and when the situation of back pressure kick arises, the rubber faced steel plungers retract outwards thereby opening the passage to circulate extra fluid through the outlet port.
Ram BOP comes in four types, namely:
· Pipe Ram – Function of pipe ram is to restrict the flow of fluid between the wellbore and outside of drill pipe.
· Blind Ram – Function of blind ram is to cut off the opening for tubing or drill string when no production is going on from a well.
· Shear Ram – Function of shear ram is to seal the wellbore even if there’s a tubing or drill string inside by cutting through the pipe.
· Blind Shear Ram – It functions as a blind ram as well as a shear ram.
Bore size and working pressure that Ram BOP can handle varies as follows:
· 7 to 15 inches bore size handles pressure range from 3000 to 15000 psi.
· 16-3/4’’ bore size handles pressures upto 10000 psi.
· 20-3/4’’ bore size handles pressures upto 3000 psi.
· 21-1/4’’ bore size handles pressure of 2000, 5000 and 10000 psi.
· 26-3/4’’ bore size handles pressure of 3000 psi.